Coaches Update September 30, 2013
Pickerington North Invitational 9-28-13 75 degrees, sunny with the heat building.
Name 1M 2M 5K PL PR
1. Garrett Knapik-12 5:05 10:26 16:13 2 15:40
2. Colin Burdette-11 5:10 10:37 16:20 3 15:32
3. Luke Hoover-11 5:05 10:27 16:38 10 16:08
4. Johnny McKeown-11 5:05 10:27 16:48 12 16:00
5. Ryan Whitney-11 5:10 10:36 16:54 16 16:29
6. Spencer Schlecht-12 5:10 10:39 16:54 17 16:43
7. Adam Hoover-10 5:20 11:04 17:46 41 16:52
8. Paul Mendola-10 5:32 11:40 18:29 O4 17:37
9. Eric Turney-12 5:42 11:50 18:39 O5 17:55
10. Hans Hartle-12 5:42 11:50 18:50 O6 18:04
11. Chris Egolf-9 5:42 11:50 18:53 O7 18:17
12. Drew Sauvey-10 5:42 11:51 18:54 O8 18:32
13. Matthew Rose-10 6:00 12:00 18:57 O9 18:23
14. Isaac Getz-9 5:42 11:50 19:09 O12 18:01
15. Patrick Keck-10 6:00 12:10 19:20 O13 18:58
16. Scott Earley-9 6:11 12:10 19:36 O16 18:39
17. Alex Min-11 6:00 12:26 19:37 O17 18:45
18. Ian Cook-9 6:11 12:37 19:40 O20 19:23
19. Thomas Shaw-11 6:11 12:37 19:52 O26 19:19
20. Grant Farmer-10 6:33 12:26 20:01 O27 20:01
21. Ryan O’Rorke-10 5:42 12:22 20:01 O28 17:10
22. Eric Lo-11 5:55 12:45 20:03 O29 19:26
23. Matt Johns-9 6:11 12:45 20:06 O30 19:11
24. Jacob Houy-11 6:15 12:57 20:18 O34 19:35
25. Jesus Davis-11 6:42 13:40 21:58 20:26
26. Chris Taylor-12 6:20 13:22 22:53 19:10
27. Nick Caiasa-9 7:05 14:33 22:54 21:03
28. Reed Farmer-9 7:10 15:13 24:26 24:26
29. James Cutshall-11 7:00 27:47 25:19
30. Ahmed Abdi-12 DNR 16:48
31. Cole Andromalos-12 DNR 20:36
32. Coburn Gillies-11 DNR 20:22
33. Adam Conti-12 DNR 21:07
34. Isaiah Gilman-11 DNR 22:02
35. Alex Steitz-11 DNR N/A
Hilliard Davidson won championships in both the Varsity and Open…….AWESOME!
Team Stats: Record: 30 Wins 0 Lost Total Records: 156 Wins 7 Lost
Split: 16:13 to 16:54 = 41 seconds. Good…..
Score: 2, 3, 10, 12, 16 = 43 points
Teams: Davidson was Champions (31 teams)
Open Team was Champions with 30 Points and a split of 28 seconds…AWESOME!
Outstanding Runners: (How close to your PR) Reed Farmer new PR, Grant Farmer, great first race, Spencer Schlecht-12 +11, Ian Cook-9 +17, Patrick Keck-10 +22, Drew Sauvey-10 +22, Ryan Whitney-11 +25, Luke Hoover-11, +30, Thomas Shaw-11, +33, Matthew Rose-10, +34, Chris Egolf-9, +36, Eric Lo-11, +37. Hans Hartle-12 has clearly been doing the work and setting a standard for the open runners. He has been selfless. For Hans’s dedication to the team, he is now a full Captain, Congratulation Hans Hartle.
Medal Count: Out of the 29 runners that ran, Davidson had 24 young men earning an award!
Thoughts about Pickerington: 24 medals and a Davidson sweep, Boys and Girls, Varsity and Open. This meet had a game plan and it was followed. We know the importance of the coming weeks and our focus is on each other. It was clear that Davidson was committed. The open runners were in big packs running hard and their dominance was clear. I am very happy about achieving this week’s objectives. The road to November is long but we are on schedule.
Pickerington Recap: The Varsity started things off with a race plan that held us together. The start was aggressive and smooth. We entered the woods together then went into action. Knapik had his two and Burdette followed suit. The mile and a half looked good so I ordered each group to hold the line until I saw them at the hill. At that point, Knapik was looking good and ready to go so I set him free. Knapik moved from 12th place to runner up. Luke Hoover then had to work on his objective with McKeown. They marched up the hill and entered the woods ok. Hoover was out kicked and Johnny ran out of steam. The next group, led by Colin, came to the hill. Orders were given. Schlecht looked beat and Burdette wanted to stay. I said no to Burdette’s request and made him go because sometimes individuals need to overcome demons that slow them. Whitney was solid and stride for stride with Schlecht. This command was awesome because Whitney and Spencer both had great last miles. They fought the unconscious mind and ran hard and even had great sprints. Burdette flew the last mile and moved from 17th place to 3rd. Adam Hoover was lonely. He attacked and fought but this sophomore had a major week and it took the spark out of his race. Adam did learn the course and next time he will be there.
Next was the open race. The heat was on as the temperature began to rise quickly. Two runners that should have been in the varsity race took the lead with a determined Davidson bunch right behind. Mendola led Davidson and held his own but the pack of; Turney, Hartle, Sauvey, Egolf and Rose were a sight to behold. Stride for stride in the face of a difficult course they finished 5, 6, 7, 8, and 9 after Mendola’s 4th place. This was awesome and they only scored 30 points. I was so proud on this day because we earned 24 medals and worked out after the meet as the other teams drifted off in their individual worlds. Davidson is a TEAM and a team on a mission. Mojo!
Looking Ahead: Now we enter the spread week. In the past we called it the 8.6. Scientifically it is the same. Burdette, Knapik, L Hoover, McKeown, Whitney and Schlecht will not be racing this week. Monday will be fun. Tuesday we cross train on our own but we must do something to make the muscles feel good. Wednesday is the big day and we will run to the Community Park. Thursday will be a meeting then a 50-60 minutes run. Friday is 5:45 AM. Saturday will be an 8:00AM practice and the Darby Invitational.
Darby Dash Race Plan: Davidson will be running a Strong team at the Darby Invitational. Last year, Davidson was able to win a Championship with quality running by all members. This year, Darby has two front runners but Davidson has a nice blend of talent to win another championship. Davidson will have to have O’Rorke back in the game with a great front of Abdi and Adam Hoover. The pack must do its job as we must be with the Darby 3rd runner. We must focus on their third with the Davidson tradition and alumni watching your backs. Fight hard and prove that WE ARE DAVIDSON!
Race schedule: Runners will get to Darby on their own. We will not take a tent because we race at 10:45 AM with all runners in one race. Be at Darby by 9:15 AM so we can have a good warm up.
After Race – Apple picking – all runners are expected to pick. Mrs. Whitney will provide more details.
First place finish for Boys & Girls Varsity, and Boys & Girls JV. Congratulations Wildcats!!